Source: www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2015/10/21/nurses-fathers-teachers-mothers-why-do-we-devalue-someone-the-minute-they-care-for-others

Quotes:

“Yes, we have too few women at the top, but we also have far too many women at the bottom. … What’s really going on here is we are discriminating against people who have to care for others … if you’re at the top and take time out to take care of others, you’re knocked off your leadership track.”

“Men wrote to me, including gay men, and said, “How dare you frame this as a woman’s issue?” They were right. They also said, “I am not any happier with my role as a mandated breadwinner than women used to be as the mandated caregiver. I want to be able to spend more time with my children.” So I really changed my views of what men want but don’t dare say.”

“To boil it down, my advice is break the mold. Do not accept the hierarchies you are given. Do not accept the assumptions about the workplace that you are given. Do not accept the ideas about male and female roles you are given.”

WashingtonPost: Why do we devalue someone the minute they care for others?